Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Blog #1 Barbie and Lil Kim

When I think of the Apple and Lil Kim video in relation to Spiel's piece, my first impression is very basic. Are there people out there who are still concerned about Babie's negative influence on little girls? Are they really worried that Barbie is sexist, racist, or a bad example for children in other ways? When compared to Lil' Kim or Fiona Apple? If I were a parent of a 5 to 7 year old girl for example, I would be a bit more at ease buying her a Barbie to play with as opposed to allowing her to spend time unsupervised on Youtube watching videos like Lil' Kim. Spiel mentions many feminist positions about Barbie. I must admit I had no idea that any of this existed, e.g. "Barbie studies." I think it's easy to agree with some concerns, like the "whiteness" of Barbie. The white dolls are listed as "Barbie" and the other listed by race. I can understand that and would like to see a change. I don't really know how, maybe not label any Barbies at all. There could just be a bunch of dolls of different ethnic backgrounds. Maybe you'd have to buy the doll first and then read their story to learn more about each doll's background including ethnicity. A doll dressed in African clothes would be just another doll until you opened it up and read the little booklet that tells all about the Barbies home, customs, etc.

That being said, compare Barbie to the images of Fiona or Lil' Kim. Fiona looks so sickly and thin in the Criminal video and I don't know where to start with Kim. I know society has changed. I still feel like I have to remind myself that Happy Days is not the norm anymore, but where does it end? From my sometimes naive position, I would like to think performers would take on some responsibility regarding the issues facing our youth today, like anorexia. I found Lil' Kim's video depressing. I have tuned into the BET cable television station a few times to see what my African American students are influenced by. Although, I have not seen anything quite as graphic as "How many licks" of BET. After watching that video, I wonder how serious a threat Barbie really presents. Not much, unless you're the one who had cosmetic surgery done to look like Barbie.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great point! I have an eight year old daughter and she has numerous barbies. Now will she be watching Lil' Kim videos? Not on my watch! At least not until the inevitable teen years where then and only then will I hope to have raised her right to be able to critique what these videos are really selling.